'Put your shoulder to the wheel, push along'

Monday 28 July

So this week was trek week. We were at the mission office at 6:30 (I know!) and we had breakfast which consisted of fruit and bagels, it felt like the MTC again.

We all got on a bus and took an hour and a half drive to a ranch in Wyoming that the church owns and we trekked 10 miles. We all had a handcart and we were all grouped as districts. What was really cool was that our whole district had dressed up in pioneer clothes minus the nikes and trainers - we had a real experience! We all had fun, Sister Melanson and I pushed THE WHOLE TIME! We didn't take a break at all. It was super hot though, everyone got sunburned... except me. I don't know the science behind that one, seen as I put on as much sun cream as Sister Melanson, she had some bad lines. Sister Melanson and I have had to provide several Elders with Aloe Vera and lotion. They were redder than lobsters!

Elder Castillo: "Sister Hughes, you look like a big English baby"
(He was commenting on my bonnet)

"Come on Sister Hughes push, push!" Elder Castillo, you should be a birth coach.

The trek in total was 10 miles and we had dinner and testimony meeting at the end and we sang "Come come ye Saints" I'm not joking, there were angels singing with us it was so special.

This week we have picked up 3 new people to teach. One of them being a miracle: a man and his girlfriend/wife (we're still trying to work that one out) is a member who is not active and they both want to change their lives around. We walked into 3rd ward sacrament meeting and there they were. It was like Heavenly Father just put them there. We were fasting that day too (no food only, we still want to be able to work in the heat) miracles happen when we fast!

We also invited one of our investigators to be baptized this week and he said yes which was really cool so we are working with him for that.

Overall, it has been a really good week, despite it being a little crazy because of Trek.

This week at the wellington was priceless, they are doing a film for some competition and they were showing us one of their songs

"Show me the way to go home, I'm tired and I want to go to bed. I had a drink about an hour ago and it went straight to my head! Oh, show me the way to go home."

For the matinee film they were watching '7 Brides for 7 Brothers.' I was so excited. "Bless your beautiful hide, where ever you may be" oh my word I was very in love with Howard Keel's voice. You know you have been out a long time when you start referring to movie characters as Elder or Sister..... Elder Keel.

So on Wednesday was 7th ward splits night, so we went by our ward mission leaders home to pick up the list and there were two stray dogs walking around the neighbourhood. As I have found my dog whispering ability whilst being out on my mission Itried to get them and look at the collars. One of them was really pleasant but the old tiny cocker spaniel put me in my place (she was a stubborn one) Sister Funk saw me jogging around this dog and she said "Sister Hughes, when you were trying to get the dog you reminded me of the scene in pride and prejudice Colin Firth version of when Elizabeth is dancing with the dog." such high praise in deed. My life was made.

Anyway love you all!

Sister Leah Hughes xx


PS. Also, please make sure that everyone knows to send to the mission office only. Transfers are next week and I am pretty sure I am leaving. So if all packages and mail be sent to the office, then that would be great.

Comments

Popular Posts