Trust me, I'm the doctor!


22 December 2014

Oh my giddlygoodness, WHAT A WEEK. "It was the best of time and the worst of times". So now that I have you interested I will tell you the story of the week.

Monday: P-day was WILD. We went to Deseret Book, because that is a super Mormon thing to do. Jokes we needed to get a photo for Sister Knight's investigator who was getting baptised on Friday. Everything just took forever; I have no idea why... 7 hours really? Never again. Then we just went to the zone building to play sports for a little while. Then we had appointments for the rest of the night which was amazing. The Bustos we made root beer floats and tied that into the Holy Ghost, The Johnsons we shared the "He is the gift" message and then we did the root beer floats for the Hogan’s too. It was a good night!

Tuesday: Early start, we went to the temple in Salt Lake which was really nice. After we had studies we met with Joey and had a great lesson with him. Then we saw Alex and had a great lesson with her. Then we had a great lesson with the Tergeon's (Ella is getting baptized on January 10th) and then we had to meet with Sister Crotts because her and Sister Knight were doing a training the next day in zone meeting.

Wednesday: We had zone conference which is a large group of missionaries in different areas all meet and have training. It was really good!! Unfortunately Sister Knight was severely sick right after zone conference so I had to quickly drive her home and we stayed in for the rest of the night. Seeing your companion throw up has to be one of the most heartbreaking things I have had to witness.

Thursday: It was a rough night with Sister Knight throwing up in the early hours. We did weekly planning and I studied a lot whilst Sister Knight was on her sick bed.

Friday: Sister Knight was feeling slightly better so we went to our Christmas devotional. Sister Eberhardt insisted that we didn't miss it and I don't blame her

ELDER JEFFERY R HOLLAND CAME AND SPOKE TO US!!!!
Yes, that's right.

He started off by shaking everyone's hand and then he told us from the pulpit "I am not sure if you notice or not but as I was shaking your hand I looked you in the eye and I interviewed each and every one of you."
I was like holy cow he knows all my deepest darkest secrets!  Sister Knight felt instantly healed as she shook his hand! MIRACLE

We had a Q&A session with him which was really good.
Some good things he said:
"God will take care of you as you take care of His children"
"Baptism is for the remission of sins, NOT entrance into the church"
'I cannot live with a missionary who doesn't understand his/her calling"
"When God wants to do something, He sends a baby"
"You're going to see yourself as a baby, and that's okay. God has worked with babies from the beginning"
"If you feel young, welcome to the church. So do I!" (If he feels young then I have no hope!)
"The very least thing you can do is believe" (He said that with power and I was like I BELIEVE!)
*insert handslam on the pulpit* "Don't you DARE DOUBT THIS WORK" (No Elder Holland, I don't doubt)

Faves lines -
"You have got to be in this forever"
"Be true for the rest of your life, forever and ever"
"Be faithful and be faithful and be faithful"
 (I will, till the day I die)
So now I have met one of my favourite apostles, now I can die. But I won't because I want to fulfil the rest of my mission and have a life here on earth!

Then Sister Knight had to rest because she was weak. Then we went to her baptism in Holliday which was really nice and then we went to the mission office for the dregs of the Christmas dinner and we got to see other missionaries and get packages and things. Sister Eberhardt calls me Nurse Hughes now. So I am a legit doctor, I have been Eberhardt certified! Then we drove home. I can now drive from the mission office using the freeway without needing Sister Knight's help. I am a grown up girl now. Sister Knight has told me that she has been waiting for this day haha I am a real American now...

Saturday: We handed out the last of our Christmas card and message and then we had lunch with the Westenskow's. Sister Westenskow made the most delicious soup. Then we contacted and went over to an elderly lady and helped her wrap Christmas presents. Then we had to stay in because Sister Knight needed to rest because Sunday's are our busiest day.

Our Bishop stopped by and brought us each a single rose for Christmas which was really nice! He said "I knew you wouldn't be getting anything like this for Christmas"
Bishop knew we were single and that we wouldn't be getting roses for Christmas. The best thing is that his name is Bishop Rose and he is a florist. He is the best man ever.

Sunday: Church, Church, Church. Everyone had their Christmas programs which was really nice! A couple a members handed us Christmas presents which was really nice. We are so well taken care of here. I have never felt so loved in a foreign place! Then in the evening we had a lesson with the Webbs and they have invited us over for Christmas day dinner which was really lovely with them. They told us that we have been the missionaries that they have had most over, woohhoo! We were over at their home for thanksgiving too :)

So this week we are going carolling and we are busy most nights which is good. 24th we have a Dean Kaelin concert at a chapel which should be good. it ends at 10 so it will be a late night, no risk of me waking up at 5 because it will be Christmas next day! Our district and Zone Leaders will all be meeting up and opening our presents together which will be really nice :) Our district gets along really well and our Zone leaders are amazing! We are also doing white elephant with whatever we can find in our apartments so it will be interesting.

REASON FOR THE SEASON
John 3:16-17
16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
 17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved

Click on this link to watch a 3 minute video on Christmas:
http://www.mormon.org/christmas?cid=HPFR112814529

you can also Youtube David Archulatte's "Angels we have heard on high" From The Piano Guys. The Largest Nativity EVER! It's been Guinness certified.

So that's a wrap. That has been my week!

From the other side of the pond, I wish you all a Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year! Hope you all have great family time, presents and don't eat too much Turkey and don't forget to think about Jesus.

Much Love,


Sister Hughes xxx

Comments

Popular Posts