Look not behind thee

This week I had the privilege to have an interview with my stake president for my temple recommend. We at down and we had a good old natter about life after the mission, 

I cannot believe that if has been 5 months since I have returned from the promised land. it feels so long ago that I never went, but hurts like I just left yesterday. Yep, you hit me real bad America. But I'm coming back for you don't you worry, I'm just saving my pennies...

My stake president spoke to me about not looking back. "Faith is for the future" and how you will miss your mission. We started talking about one of my most favourite talks of all time "Remember Lott's Wife" If you aren't already familiar with this talk then click on the link and have a good old read, this talk is TOP NOTCH!

And we focused on these paragraphs

"So it isn’t just that she looked back; she looked back longingly. In short, her attachment to the past outweighed her confidence in the future. That, apparently, was at least part of her sin.

So, as a new year starts and we try to benefit from a proper view of what has gone before, I plead with you not to dwell on days now gone, nor to yearn vainly for yesterdays, however good those yesterdays may have been. The past is to be learned from but not lived in. We look back to claim the embers from glowing experiences but not the ashes. And when we have learned what we need to learn and have brought with us the best that we have experienced, then we look ahead, we remember that faith is always pointed toward the future. Faith always has to do with blessings and truths and events that will yet be efficacious in our lives"
Then we spoke about how it is okay to miss your mission, but it's kind of unhealthy to dwell on your mission. Just like Elder Holland said faith is for the future and if we are longing to go back to our missions then we don't have the faith that God will provide us with a life far better then we can ever imagine, just like Lott's wife. Do you think that God isn't going to bless us for our missionary service?

This is something that I have been struggling with. I've been longing to go back to my mission. Life was so much easier because when you're on a mission you've got the spirit of God and you're called to serve, don't have to think about yourself one bit and I just miss my Americans.

Our missions were the best decision we had made until we came home. The world is our oyster now, even though it's really scary deciding what we need to do next with our lives I know that as we ask God just like we told the people who we taught when they had questions and ask God "What is my purpose now?" that he will make known the plan that he has for us. 

Have faith in God of good things to come, even when things aren't working out like they planned it will all work out in the end.

Even though life is different being back and I miss my American's like crazy, I wouldn't change it for the world because things are only going to get better as I continue to exercise my faith in the future that God has for me which he will slowly reveal to me.

Things that have helped me being home

- Talk to Returned Missionaries when you are struggling
(They know exactly how you feel)

- Applying for a job or School ASAP
(Helps you stay busy and with a purpose)

- Getting a calling
(again makes you feel like you have a purpose)

- Talking to church leaders and being honest about what it is like being home
(they are more than happy to listen and to help, they don't want us to suffer in silence)

- Staying in contact with people I taught or served with
(this one goes without saying)

- Plan a trip back to my mission
(gives you something to look forward too, obviously that might not feesable for some of you, but skype is the next best thing)

The struggle is real but it only gets better the longer you have been home.

"Believe in good things to come"

Thanks Elder Holland.

Comments

Popular Posts